We are aware that having a healthy diet is the key to making our bodies healthy. Diet is vital in keeping your eyes healthy too. These are the foods that you should focus on for eye-healthy eating:
● The best-known eye-healthy nutrient is vitamin A. The retina needs a lot of vitamin A which helps in converting the light rays to images that we perceive. Vitamin A can also help in preventing dry eyes.
● Orange-colored vegetables such as carrots are well-known sources of vitamin A. Sweet potatoes also provide vitamin A. You can also get vitamin A from fruits including cantaloupe and apricots.
● Vitamin C is important to eye health. It is an antioxidant that helps in protecting the body by repairing and growing new tissue cells. Citrus fruits such as oranges, tangerines, grapefruit, and lemons are good sources of vitamin C. It can also be found in other foods such as peaches, tomatoes, red bell peppers, and strawberries.
● According to the Age-Related Eye Diseases Study, antioxidants can delay or possibly prevent age-related macular degeneration (AMD) or cataracts to occur.
● Vitamin E is an important antioxidant that helps in maintaining the cells healthy. You can find vitamin E in avocados, sunflower seeds, and almonds.
● Research suggests that a diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids such as salmon, sardines, tuna, trout, and halibut reduces the risk of developing eye diseases. Omega-3 is essential in the tear function which makes it beneficial for people with dry eyes.
● Consuming leafy green vegetables with lutein and zeaxanthin protects the macula which is responsible for central vision and a detailed vision.
● Beans and zinc can help in keeping the retina healthy and protect the eyes from the harmful effects of light.
Is It True That Nutrition Is Important for Good Vision?
According to Rebecca J. Taylor, MD, an ophthalmologist, nutrition is important to keep our eyes healthy. Having a diet that consists of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and low in fat helps your heart and eyes. Our eyes rely on the tiny arteries for oxygen and nutrients which means keeping the arteries healthy is important as well.
Can I Get Eye-healthy Nutrients Through Vitamin Supplements?
Consuming nutrients through diet is the best way. The nutrients in the food that you eat are sufficient except if you have macular degeneration. It is recommended for people with macular degeneration to take additional supplements to ensure that they are able to get the right amount of nutrients for their eyes. It is important to remember that it is never too late to start eating healthy no matter what your age is. Eating healthy can benefit your overall health as well as your vision.