We are currently in a pandemic right now which means we are not able to go out. Many people want to know about their ocular health even if they are staying at home only. Remember that a home vision test is not a substitute for a comprehensive eye exam done by an ophthalmologist. It is always best to get your eyes checked by an ophthalmologist because it is more accurate than a mere home vision test.
It is important to undergo professional vision exams because they can detect eye disorders which can lead to early treatment if needed. When it comes to children’s health, do not only rely on a home exam. Children who are under 3 years old should visit their ophthalmologists for vision testing.
How Can I Set Up a Home Eye Test Area?
It is important to gather all the materials needed to check one’s eyesight at home. You may prepare the following:
- Something that can cover the eye such as a paper cup or tissue
- Tape or anything that can hang the test chart on the wall
- A pencil or pen and paper to record the results
- A yardstick, ruler, or tape measure.
- A well-lit room that is at least 20 feet long.
- A correct eye testing chart.
- A flashlight, if it is available.
Now that you have gathered all the materials, here are the steps you need to follow to set up the testing area:
- Print child’s or adult’s test chart depending on who you will be testing. Make sure that the largest letter at the top of the chart is under an inch or 23 millimeters tall.
- Ensure that there is no window from the wall within 10 feet. Place the chair at this point.
- Tape the chart on the wall, make sure that the chart is leveled with the eyes of the person that will be tested as he or she sits on the chair.
The Normal Scores for Home Vision Testing
If the child is around 3 or 4 years old, he or she should be able to see the 20/40 line. If the child is around 5 years old, a child should see the 20/30 line. An adult should be able to read the 20/20 line. Visit your eye doctor if your child cannot see the expected line of print. It is the same for the case of adults, an eye examination by an ophthalmologist must be arranged if there are irregular results.