There are different products for contact lens care in supermarkets and drugstores which makes it confusing what to choose. It is important to understand proper lens care because negligence for contact lens care can result in eye infections and the worst-case scenario can be blindness. Before choosing products, it is important to consult your eye doctor for guidance for the reason that there are products that can damage your eyes. There are certain guidelines to be followed for soft contact lenses because of the high percentage of fungal eye infections.
3 Basic Contact Lens Care: Clean, Rinse and Disinfect
- Wash hands thoroughly to prevent the transfer of microorganisms. Dry hands using a towel that is lint-free.
- Clean one lens using a multi-purpose solution at the palm. Rub the lens using the index finger with a back-and-forth motion.
- Rinse it to remove any particles present within.
- After rinsing, place it on a clean lens holder and fill it with a solution.
- Repeat the same steps for the other lens.
Additional Care for Certain Situation
Protein. Since there is a possibility of protein build-up in eyes using contacts, enzymatic cleaner, and daily protein removal liquids may be recommended by doctors for removal. It is often present if you wear lenses that are not disposable.
Eye dryness and irritation. Wearing contact lenses for a long time results in dryness and eye drops can help in lubricating it.
Eye sensitivity and allergies. There is a small percentage of individuals using contact lenses to develop an eye allergy to the composition in some contact lens solutions. The recommended solution is with the “preservative-free” on its label.
Essential Products to Be Used
Saline solution is used for rinsing and storing contact lenses. It is never used for cleaning and disinfection of lenses.
The daily cleaner is used for cleaning contact lenses by rubbing the lens in the palm of your hand.
The multipurpose solution is an all-in-one solution which is for cleaning, rinsing, disinfecting, and storing contact lenses. It is the most popular care product because you don’t need to buy a lot of products for lens care.
Hydrogen peroxide solution cleans and disinfects. It should never be used directly in the eye because it can cause injury. Always complete the disinfecting and neutralizing step before doing so.
Must-Know for Contact Lens Care
Following these steps will make your contact lens safe and comfortable to use.
- Do not touch the tip of the solution bottle because it can cause contamination.
- Avoid using tap water to prevent serious eye infections caused by Acanthamoeba found in it.
- Clean and disinfect contact lenses and accessories daily and as directed.
- Rinse lens case with hot water when not in use.
- To reduce the risk of infection, change contact lens case every three months.