A salon is a popular place where women go to get their hair or makeup done. Now, salons offer different procedures such as microblading, eyebrow lamination, eyelash lifts, and tints that enhance how your eyebrows and eyelashes look. It is important to understand the risk of the procedures before doing it.
According to Purnima Patel, MD, an academy spokesperson, enhancements in eyebrows and eyelashes pose health dangers because it is close to the eye. It can cause eye problems and vision problems which we do not want to happen. Dr. Patel mentioned that people tend to develop sensitivities in repeated exposure. Even if you did not have any reaction before, you may have a different reaction because formulations can change over time.
Any color additives used for permanent tinting eyelashes and eyebrows are not approved by the Food and Drug Administration. Permanent eyelash and eyebrow tints are known to result in serious eye injuries such as blindness. In California, they are warned to pay a fine if they use tinting products. In New York, eyebrow and eyelash dyes are legal as long as they are not permanent.
According to Jessica Krant, MD, MPH, there are no set standards for eyelash and eyebrow tinting because it is hard to judge how safe it is. She mentioned that even if there is approval for dyes in tinting, infections and allergic reactions can still occur. The FDA approval does not mean the procedure is 100% safe.
What Are the Common Eyebrow and Eyelash Enhancements?
● Tinting is a 15-minute procedure that makes your eyebrows or eyelashes appear thicker, darker, and fuller. It lasts for about three to six weeks.
● Eyebrow microblading is a one to two hour procedure where a permanent pigment is tattooed on your eyebrow. It costs several hundred dollars because it lasts for years.
● Eyebrow lamination is less than a one-hour procedure that does not involve needles or semi-permanent dye. A perming cream is used to shape the eyebrows.
● Eyelash perm is a 45-minute procedure that makes your eyelashes long and curled using a chemical solution.
● Eyelash lift is usually combined with an eyelash tint. A chemical lotion is used to make the eyelash grow upward.
What Should I Do When an Eyebrow or Eyelash Enhancement Goes Wrong?
Contact your health care provider immediately if you react to hair dye or cosmetics. You need to contact the FDA because it is vital information regarding the safety of cosmetics on the market. Do not hesitate to do so because it can help many people.