LASIK surgery is widely popular as a method to improve the quality of vision. It helps a lot of individuals by eliminating the dependence on using glasses and contacts. LASIK has its side effects and it is important to know what to do when problems arise.
After you undergo LASIK surgery, soreness and discomfort are common. You may also experience dry eye and itchiness. All of these are normal and part of the healing process. It may be viewed as inconvenient but there are ways you can follow to help with the healing process. Following the advice of your eye surgeon is mostly helpful because he/she knows what are the things that you should do and not do.
What Are the Ways to Prevent Pain After Lasik Surgery?
- Pain medication or an over-the-counter pain reliever is prescribed if you feel any discomfort after the surgery. Take the medication to address your discomfort. Take the recommended dosage only.
- During the first 24 to 48 hours after surgery, it is important to let your eyes rest first. Spare your eyes from doing the following activities including reading, watching TV or movies, or using the computer. Do not strain your eyes by doing any activities that can do so.
- Medicated eye drops will be given to you but you must use them as instructed. Use eye drops during the first days of recovery because it can help in speeding up the healing process. You can use it as weeks go by and you experience itchiness or redness. It can also help when you have issues with dry eyes.
- In the first days, you are given eye shields after the surgery as protection for accidental contact with eyes. Using it will prevent rubbing and scratching of the eye that can result in damage and slow down the healing process.
- Avoid dry, dusty, and smoky places because it can trigger dry eye attacks which can give you pain and discomfort after LASIK surgery.
- Wear sunglasses and hat when you are staying outdoors because your eyes are very sensitive during the first days after LASIK. It is better to stay indoors during those days.
What You Should Do if You Have Questions About Post LASIK Surgery?
Do not hesitate to contact your eye doctor if you have any questions or if you are experiencing any discomfort. It is important to address matters as soon as possible because postponing it can make it worse. You must be careful to avoid any complications.
This post is also available in: Filipino